DAYEdalera

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thank God for Tito Emmil (A Eulogy)
















An old saying goes that, if an only daughter is to marry, the parents should not cry because they will be losing a daughter instead they should be happy because they will gain another son. I think that old saying was an understatement.

When Tito Emmil became the HUSBAND of Tita Sonia, the only daughter of my Lola Amanda and Lolo Pitong, true enough Lolo and Lola gained a SON, but my Dad and his brothers, their wives altogether gained a BROTHER-IN-LAW, Myself and my siblings, my cousins included gained an UNCLE, our family friends gained a new FRIEND. But moreso, Tito Emmil was not the only person our family gained, we gained his entire family, Mommy Brigida, Daddy Hoseas and Tito Emmil’s siblings (Tito Manny, Tita Beth, Tita Mercy and Tito Jhun).

In addition, we had a JOKER who often throws his gag over family luncheon and dinners, we had an OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER during family occasions, we had an EVENT AND SURPRISE PLANNER during birthdays, we had more than just one personality in one person of our dearest Tito Emmil.

When Tito Emmil passed-away last February 15, it seems our family lost not just one person but one person who played great personalities in each of our lives.

I remember, the Friday before I took the 2007 Bar Examinations, I was crying to death, I was losing hope, everybody in the family was supportive but cannot pacify the tension I am feeling until I received a call from the USA, Tito Emmil speaking on the other line said: “Esquire, all the best. I know you can make it. Claim the title because we have prayed for you.” and everything falls into the right places, I took the bar, I triumphed the exam, I passed and officially can use the title “Atty.” But I cannot forget it was Tito Emmil who called me :Esquire” even though I am not yet a lawyer. He was such a blessing.

I know each of us in the family would have their own story about Tito Emmil, the ‘food-trip’ stories on crispy-pata, balut and other ‘pampabata’ food and his popular saying “Life is short. Enjoy the food.” Sad but true, Tito Emmil never reached the senior citizen age, he died at 58. He died eating what can make him happy. We lost a very appetite-boosting person (‘yung masarap katabi sa hapag-kainan pag handaan dahil makakakain ka guilt-free).

After his death, I thought that life in heaven will never be the same. Probably, the angels will be giggling more if they hear the jokes of Tito Emmil or maybe when it rains and the sky will have lightnings, that is Tito Emmil taking pictures.

We will truly miss Tito Emmil the joker, the photographer, the versatile him, here on earth.

Allow me to rephrase a quote from Paolo Coehlo from “Live your life with so much in your heart that if by mistake, you were sent to hell, the devil himself would deliver you up to the paradise.” to “LIVE YOUR LIFE AS IF YOU ARE A BLESSING TO OTHER PEOPLE THAT IF BY MISTAKE, YOU WERE SENT TO HELL, THE DEVIL HIMSELF WILL SURRENDER YOU TO THE LOVING ARMS OF THE LORD.”

Now, the Mendoza, Gonzales-Tolentino clan is assured, Tito Emmil is now in heaven because in so many ways he has been a blessing to all of us.

Thank you God, for giving Tito Emmil to us.

Tito Emmil, we will miss you and everything about you. Rest assured we will be taking care of Tita Sonia. We love you and please keep the rock n’ roll in heaven on a moderate level.

***
A eulogy I delivered yesterday for the Internment of Mr. Emmanuel Mendoza, a husband, a son, a brother-in-law, an uncle, a friend and a blessing to the people whose lives was touched by his life.

I can't help but cry in between the lines. Tito Emmil was the second man whose death made me cry after my Lolo Pitong died nine years ago, on the same day, February 15.
posted by daye at 3:26:00 PM

2 Comments:

I love tito Emmil............

1:47 PM  

mam condolence po

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home