DAYEdalera

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Eternal Rewards 3: Soar high my students!!!

The greatest lesson a teacher can give to her students is the "LOVE FOR KNOWLEDGE".

I am taking a leave of absence from teaching and it is already final. Already made representation to the Department that I will not be teaching this June. I am a bit sad because I have to do this but I think I need some time to "settle" (Read: "go better") with life, love and the in the legal profession.

I am sad because I will miss the cheerful sound of "Ma'am Daye" and the weekend dose of "terror" I usually give my students. I will miss recitations. I will miss writing exams and more the checking of booklets. I will miss everything about teaching especially the way I learn from my students.

Yeah, I learned some important things in life from my students.

I learned how to throw "jokes" in between recitations.
I learned to prepare more in class because there might be someone smarter than me in class.
I learned to feel like a student again at times that they sought my understanding.
I learned that students can be my friends outside the classroom.
I learned how to apologize in case I have committed a mistake in class.
I learned that "money" is nothing compared to the joys of teaching.
I learned that I am "beautiful" because many admires me and even courted me.
I learned how to cry for my student's failure and to celebrate their success.

But most importantly, I learned that teaching is a never-ending profession. A teacher-student relationship is not a per semester basis. It is not extinguished by distributing classcards. I learned that "once a teacher, always a teacher". Oftentimes, my students will call me in the middle of the night to ask legal questions because they are in trouble. At times, I even have to be "ninang" to their children. Mostly, they put my name as character reference and asks my recommendation for further schooling.

This semester, I will miss my weekend joy but I am happy because I'm not really stopping the multiplier effect of "love for knowledge", many of my former students are pursuing further studies, Creative writing, Asian Studies, International Relations, SOLAIR, Public Administration and the most rewarding of all, many of them are pursuing LAW.

I am happy for them. I am fulfilled that they were able to maximize their potentials and that they had the courage to dream.

I am taking a leave. I can peacefully focus on myself without feeling guilty that I stopped the chain.

I am taking a time out for myself and rest assured I will prepare for the time that I will be seeing my former students in Court, someday I believe it will become inevitable.

Soar high!!!
Keep your faith!!!
Make "Ma'am Daye" proud...

posted by daye at 2:33:00 PM

3 Comments:

Thank you so much Ma'am Daye...

6:08 AM  

Awww Roomie... Enjoy the ME time though, you deserve it! You've been wearing too many hats :)

2:34 PM  

@ Kcali - hahaha. Ma'am daye ka diyan, eh magkabatch tayo. :))

@ Roomie - Yeah. I've been wearing too many hats and teaching hat is the most colorful, the law hat is the most heavy, the love hat is the lightest and the life hat is so stressful..hehe

thanks for agreeing I deserve the "ME" time.

I miss you.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home