DAYEdalera

Friday, January 18, 2008

LIBERAL and PROUD.


Since I quit my job as Administrative and Finance Officer of the LP headquarters, my life was totally changed.

Politics was neglected when I seriously considered law as a profession. I remember Dean Ortega when he told us “Law is a jealous profession” quoting a US Supreme Court Justice. Indeed, when law stuff pre-occupied my schedule, I have neglected my first love, Politics.

During my college years, I chose to be a non-partisan student until I won the presidency of the Political Science Society. I was considered as a candidate at the Central Student Council but I refused, being an academic-focused person I don’t want any engagement even in campus politics.

On October 7, 2000, I formally joined the Liberal Party of the Philippines through its youth wing, the Kabataang Liberal ng Pilipinas (KALIPI), it was the starting point of my lifetime saga to uphold liberal values and infuse the party platform in the government.

LINIS at PAGBABAGO, it is but a simple statement yet it represents my idealism of the Philippine government. The Liberal Party as I always say is the only reason why I respect Philippine politics. From the roster of its high profile membership, Jovito R. Salonga, Ninoy Aquino, Diosdado Macapagal, Justice Antonio Nachura to the grassroot sectoral membership, KALIPI (youth wing), Liberal Ladies (Women), Local Chief Executives, Parliamentary Caucus, LCCS (Congressional Staff), L4 (Local legislators) to name a few, I can feel the overwhelming idealism for a better Philippines, a country I envision for the next generation.

I took active part in the youth wing, I campaigned hard in 2001 and 2004 for LP candidates, I actively participated in the operations of the headquarters… those is what I missed when I took law.

The party split was saddening. It happened at a time when LP was gearing to launch a blockbuster line-up for 2010. The hopes and dreams I have suddenly turned into a nightmare. The party that I love so much is falling apart with its leaders crying over differences, being unliberal, as a grassroot member I trusted the words of an icon : “these too shall pass.”

Last November, 2007 when after the bar exam I joined the Young Liberals of Asia (YLDA) in Jakarta, I questioned my five-year apathy for political participation. Once more I reaffirmed my love for changing government through politics. I seriously considered not practicing law if ever because the politics talks we had made me happier, it was fulfilling that I am practicing what I am preaching in class... “Our role as Political Science majors is not confined with making this government work, but more of making our governments accountable. In accomplishing that goal we have fulfilled our purpose.”

I always have a reason to celebrate the 19th of January, the Liberal Party, I am a Liberal and I am proud.

HAPPY 62nd ANNIVERSARY TO THE LIBERAL PARTY!

Labels: , ,

posted by daye at 10:26:00 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home