DAYEdalera

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Teacher Daye


I started teaching 2002, I remember my second day of teaching when PolSci-Carlo Madrid batch did not studied the essay I assigned them for our Public Administration class, I never thought I could run amok as early as that.. I am a new faculty member and I must not forget that their evaluation could definitely harm my career in the academe. I had an afterthought; I never intended to stay that long ‘teaching’ anyway. For several times I think they experienced a litany of sermons that by the end of the semester one student told me: “Ma’am Daye, sana po next time huwag napo kayo magsungit-sungitan, hindi po bagay sa inyo.”

The PolSci-Carlo Madrid batch before graduating was successful to get into my nerves once again, it was their Midterm examinations, I think. I came in class and everybody was not prepared, seats are scattered, all are noisy, no testbooklets and an outstanding series of excuses so that we may postpone the exam schedule to the following week. Honestly, they sounded sincere in asking my approval but due to a sleepless night studying for my Civil Law exam, I was not able to control my hormones and again I scolded them for being so complacent studying for our International Politics class. I immediately walked-out from the classroom and never gave them the exam until they wrote me an apology letter with a promise no one will fail the exam (which I know is quite difficult as no one ever got a perfect score in my class, Hahaha).

PolSci – Ace Gomez batch, I guess was not luckier than the Madrid Batch, they experienced many “baptisms of fire” from my classes, I practically handled several subjects since their first year: Intro to PolSci, Phil. Consti and governance, Intro to Public Administration, Politics of Development + certain law topics I incorporated in their curriculum as an addendum. They are my favorite PolSci batch, because I have seen their growth and how each of them matured. I take pride when a majority number took-up law after graduating. I won’t forget the PA Conference they organized and how they absorbed my law school depressions. ;)

B.S. Political Economy – Marcly Platilla Batch (who btw, shifted to PolSci after a semester in my class + 3 more), B. PolSci- Abby Abeleda Batch, B. in Public Administration- Lourdes Abayari Batch, Three (3) Batches of B. Office Administration, Two (2) Batches of B.S. ECE, One (1) Batch of B. Architecture, One (1) Batch of B.S. Psychology, One (1) Batch of B. Transportation Management and One (1) of Business Management, One (1) Batch of B. in Broadcasting Communications. One (1) Batch more of B.S. Pol Eco. = All of them experienced the Ma’am Daye mayhem.

On my sixth year of teaching, I am confronting the very same problem I encountered on my first semester of teaching – difficult students, bright but lazy types, not-so-bright and complacent, leader categories, et.al. and I am not changing position – “If they can’t learn it Ma’am Daye’s way, they have to learn it the harder way!”.

Labels: ,

posted by daye at 10:54:00 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home