DAYEdalera

Monday, September 08, 2008

Reflections of a Kabataang Liberal (Young Liberal)..


During the IFLRY@Manila event, the Kabataang Liberal ng Pilipinas (KALIPI) was fortunate to have heard the political views of Manolo Quezon on Asian Values, I didn’t blog about it as I may give an understatement of the topic but his words about KALIPI and it’s role in uniting the split within the Liberal Party (LP) was most challenging: “ONLY if KALIPI can show its great strength that your mother party will listen to your call of unity.”


Confronted with an opportunity for career, whose Boss-to-be is a prominent leader of the Nacionalista party and the least sight of Liberal Party unity, I doubted if my ideals could bring food to my family’s table nor it could offer a wonder of career for me, in the end I decided to stay firm with my ideals, after all, I believe loyalty has greatest rewards other than monetary rewards.


Yesterday, September 7 – I celebrated my eight year as a member of KALIPI, the youth-wing of the Liberal Party, my happiness within brought me to some realizations about the LP I love, the KALIPI I loved most.


I attended the 6th KALIPI National Congress held at Imperial Palace Suites in Tomas Morato last weekend with fervent hopes that we, some of us or even little of us can make a heroic sacrifice of putting aside self-interests and 2010 plans in order to unify the LP we all love. I am happy to meet once again comrades from different parts of the Philippines and allied organizations. I am hopeful that we can arrive in a significant general program of action. I am optimistic that we may be able to elect officers in the likes of Jan-Argy Tolentino and Elmer Baldemoro to mention a few, whose calibers are tested and whose loyalties are concluded in terms of party discipline.


Restricted with ethics against partisanship, I obliged with the call of duty to be the Chair of the Credentials Committee and to report my meager accomplishments as Interim Board Member of the KALIPI Council of Ladies (KALIPI-COLA). The constant prodding of the elders for me to run a position in the roll of officers made me constant with my stand in the 4th and 5th KALIPI Congress that even without a position, I will remain an enthusiast of KALIPI and its principles.
Haphazardly, KALIPI Elections are always as stressful and full of tension. So, I prepared myself for whatever havoc this Congress will bring.


At 10AM, the 6th Congress was called to order. As Credentials Chair, I read the list of delegation and announced that the quorum required was met. That was a short role but I felt the significance that I was there to acknowledge the spell of liberalism in national level, the gavel bang and official business began.


The spirit of Congress is contagious. I think everybody felt the momentary feeling of belongingness and camaraderie in the family of young liberals.


The moment Kuya Jan moved for the acceptance of nomination made by the Preparatory Committee (PrepCom) for the members of the Election Committee (EleCom), the ambers of election sparked-up the tension. An honorable representation questioned the credibility of the EleCom members and with his contumacious accusation of the SecGen rigging the elections, I felt offended. I can attest to the honesty of KALIPI elections, as candidates always submit themselves to a compromise even before the Election Day. Anyway, the matter was settled peacefully though I know that is the beginning of the drama.


The afternoon session was about the prospects of KALIPI in 2010 and the reports of the officers. May I commend the ever-intellectual talks of Asec. Malaya and the courageous speech of Pres. Miles about the party-split,et. al. After which, I am sure of the conflict arising within the ranks of officers and the political ambitions at stake of the go-getting TRAPO-PITOS. (Dayectionary definition: Persons who run for their own interests without advocacies) My most awaited report happened hearing only the words: I, ME and MINE, how selfish of a leader to claim all the credits. Shame!


As expected, the ever tardy and less-concerned officer who prefers to party all night than attend to the needs of his own delegation arrived fifteen minutes earlier than the evening recess, the moment the trapo-pitos are waiting for to finally stage their drama with a walk-out. The walk-out that was NOT SO POPULAR to encourage other delegates to walk-out from their principles. Hearye! to that.


One slate bid for the positions. One slate won. One slate that lightens up the hopes of every member that KALIPI will not be shaken by big names. One slate which I hope could lead to the achievement of: KALIPI’s strength in the LP as Manolo envisioned. I call myself coward for not accepting the challenge to be one of them, but I am reiterating my pledge of fidelity to the ideals I embraced with or without a leadership position. I managed to remain a liberal in eight years without that position anyway.


As Sec. Atienza addressed the crowd, to quote: “Sen. Roxas, I implore you let us fight for unity and let us unite to fight!.......”, my heart pounded, my eyes teary-eyed, my liberalism affirmed.


Saddening it may be that the attempted coup’d’etat led to a heart-piercing decision of one admired delegation in joining the walk-out of the trapo-pitos, I know in their hearts, like all of us left at the Imperial Hall, they only wanted what is best for KALIPI and I concede their decision might be right. As for us left with our own belief and love for KALIPI, we pray that we made the right choice of staying. As Asec. Malaya, in his words: “Only time will judge the goodness of the decisions we make and only history can tell if it was right or wrong.”


It is more or less two years away from 2010, the prospects for the Liberal Party, the Mar Roxas Presidency, LP Unity, I know it will remain far from reach, until the elders realized that they have to learn from the young.


I am emotional but I am optimistic, the Jovito Salonga prophecy is not a myth: “KALIPI IS THE SAVING GRACE OF THE LIBERAL PARTY.”

Labels: , , , , , ,

posted by daye at 3:40:00 PM

2 Comments:

yeah!!!
Go KALIPI..
I am so amaze with those trapopitos..
hahaha..

6:07 PM  

Hmmm.... Thanks for visiting Jeff. :D

GO KALIPI. GO KALIPI-PUP. GO KALIPI-PUP PRES. JEFF!

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home