DAYEdalera

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

i miss teaching

I've always wanted to become a teacher. I remember I usually grab the teacher role during my childhood years. My mom was really a powerful influence.

A year after I graduated from college, Dr. D invited me to join the College of Economics, Finance and Politics (CEFP) Faculty of my alma mater (PUP). I never hesitated. I humbly and happily answered his invitation with "when will the dean interview me?"

I am fortunate I was accepted to the faculty. I started teaching at age 20, the youngest faculty member. Many former professors showed their happiness that I will be joining the league and there are a few who insisted that I am too young (or should I say few have doubted my qualifications).

I thought then that teaching was like the way I used to do it in "aral-aralan" (play school). But when my shoes stepped into W-219 to attend my first class of Political Science-International Relations, I realized I'm having stage fright, knees shaking..OMG! as well as my voice. I immediately dismissed the class and gave them their first assignment. Anyway, one philosopher said "teaching is 10% preparation and 90% theater".

Teaching is a very noble profession. You give more than what you are expecting to receive.

Teaching is not a lucrative profession. You get paid per hour but you work thrice those hours you are being paid. Actually, you are being paid for the time you are inside the classroom but teaching works are done before (lesson plan, curriculum, powerpoint presentations, research, etc.) and after (checking of testpapers, computation of grades, etc.) you enter the classroom.

I miss teaching. I miss my students. I miss what I learned from teaching. Can't wait for the second semester.

Labels: , ,

posted by daye at 9:23:00 PM

2 Comments:

hey, teacher daye, the DA is also making me "play" teacher, he's been sending me to proctor his exams and last night, made me check one class's booklets kasi he wasn't feeling well. i was too nervous nung nag-proctor, i let them cheat but i marked their papers. haba naman ng exam ni DA, parang pang-bar so i figured cheating won't help 'em at all haha.

i don't think i could teach though... but when i was checking the papers, i suddenly thought "this is what the examiner must be feeling right now." and i hope he/she is as kind as i was (the lowest i gave was 70 kahit hindi tapos ha! as in half lang sinagutan) :))

10:40 AM  

hi glad..

when I became a teacher I realized that 70, 65 or even 50..they are all failing marks. So at the very least you can be generous by giving the students 74. :) so that the students may realized that with a little more effort they could have passed. :)

miss you angel.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home