DAYEdalera

Monday, November 17, 2008

Chapter 9: “Kubing” and Courtship

I was awakened by a ‘beep’ sound from my cellphone, I thought it was my alarm but I saw the name of Mr. Council flashing on screen. Deadma. I intentionally missed the call. I tried to sleep again but a text message followed – “Ingat pag-uwi.”

I did not bother to reply instead I pulled my blanket and tried to sleep again.

Another text message followed, this time it was from Kuya Jan, telling me and Doris that we’ll be roaming around Baguio before we proceed to the beach party hosted by then KALIPI President Ka Henry in La Union.

I hurriedly proceeded to the shower room and dressed-up. After, I woke up Doris to prepare. We packed our bags and in a while we’re both ready to go.

We met the KALIPI group at the lobby of the hotel. This time, it was exclusively me and Doris as buddies. Doris and Eric became aloof to each other because of the ‘twitting’ events (this is purely my opinion).

We went to ‘Mines View Park’ and I can no longer remember the details except that we ate ‘inihaw na pusit’ (grilled dried squids) while we waited so long for Mr. Simpatiko.

Because of Doris and Eric’s detachment, I have to stay beside Doris and when Mr. Simpatiko noticed that he find his own companion, many things were in my mind – (a) Is he avoiding me because of last night’s card game and his admission? (b) The activity has ended and there is no more reason for him to stay with me, he is no longer in the Commission E where I am? (c) He felt like I was avoiding him?

When he came back, he told Kuya Jan he was able to buy a ‘Kubing’it is a bamboo musical instrument played by use of lips and by tapping its edge with the index finger.

Since, we were already complete; we ride an FX taxi to the bus terminal bound to La Union. I and Doris took the seats in front, while Kuya Jan, Eric and Mr. Simpatiko was at the middle seats. Mr. Simpatiko kept on playing his ‘kubing’ that made Eric inquire – “what is it for?”

Mr. Simpatiko replied – “THIS IS AN INSTRUMENT THAT NATIVES USE IN COURTING THE GIRLS THEY LIKE.”

As a response Eric and Kuya Jan giggled while me and Doris were rubbing elbows. I should admit - that statement boggled my peace and kept on repeating in my mind. “THIS IS AN INSTRUMENT THAT NATIVES USE IN COURTING THE GIRLS THEY LIKE.” - “THIS IS AN INSTRUMENT THAT NATIVES USE IN COURTING THE GIRLS THEY LIKE.” - “THIS IS AN INSTRUMENT THAT NATIVES USE IN COURTING THE GIRLS THEY LIKE.” - “THIS IS AN INSTRUMENT THAT NATIVES USE IN COURTING THE GIRLS THEY LIKE.” – Until we reached the terminal.

The bus was ordinary. It was a prototype old bus with not so comfortable seats, the left side for three persons and the other side for two persons. Kuya Jan and Eric took the right side and since we were 11, one group should be by threes – Doris, Me and Mr. Simpatiko. I was sandwiched between them.

Doris was sensitive enough, she slept during the ride. Mr. Simpatiko and I engaged in some ‘love talks’. On that, he admitted that he never had long relationships but had seven girlfriends. My mind agreed – “It’s not impossible, he seems to be a professional palikero”. He talked too much that I just listened. He talked how each relationship failed, his expectations in a relationship, his ideal girl, his coping mechanisms after a break-up and a lot of things.

He never mentioned courtship, so I had the opportunity to ask – “Do you believe in courtship?” He said – “No.” followed by a brief explanation “I prefer to settle immediately with a girl who I like and likes me as well and court her forever.”

I vehemently objected – “That is the reason why you never had lasting relationships.” Further explaining “courtship is a getting-to-know process, it is when you discover things you’ll love about the person and bad things about her that you should love better.”

He was about to say a thing but Doris woke up. Without warning, he silently closed his eyes and slept.

The ‘love talk’ was so bitin, that I texted Doris – “Matulog ka nga ulit. Hehe”

to be continued…

Labels: , ,

posted by daye at 1:43:00 PM

4 Comments:

hahahahahahahahahaha.. i love this chapter, actually i love all the chapters, lahat may kilig scenes.. hahahahaha.. ginwa nyo po b tlga n ti-next c mam doris n m2log po uli? hahahahaha.. ay naku! d q po napigilan 2mawa nung nbsa q un, n tlgang ngtext p kau pra m2log xa..hahahaha.. pazaway c ma'am daye..hehe

2:04 PM  

Haha.. yes dear, ginawa ko nga yun. :D

2:10 PM  

No.” followed by a brief explanation “I prefer to settle immediately with a girl who I like and likes me as well and court her forever.”

NAKS!!!TO THE MAX!!!

10:54 PM  

;)

Galing mambola ni Mr. Simpatiko di ba? Manang-mana kay Kuya Tops...

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home