DAYEdalera

Thursday, October 19, 2006

COMELEC DECIDES ON LIBERAL PARTY LEADERSHIP ISSUE

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



I am probably the first Liberal who has read the dispositive portion of the decision in the case:

IN THE MATTER OF THE ROMP AND ILLEGAL ELECTIONS OF OFFICERS OF THE LIBERAL PARTY (SPP No. 06-002)

LIBERAL PARTY represented by its President, Franklin M. Drilon
vs.
JOSE L. ATIENZA, Jr., et. al.


Being employed at the Office of the Solicitor General, I was the one who requested a copy from the COMELEC Education and Information Division of the “so freshly signed” resolution by the COMELEC en banc.

My heart is pounding as I received the first page with the case title, reference number and name of the parties. I almost can’t wait for the fax machine to throw out the second page which contains the dispositive portion (that is because the EID doesn’t want to fax the whole resolution which consist of several pages). My excitement wasn’t really focused on which “wing” (either Atienza or Drilon) will have a favorable decision.

MY EXCITEMENT, FEAR AND MIXED EMOTIONS IS BECAUSE I KNOW: THAT COMELEC RESOLUTION WILL SHAPE THE FUTURE OF MY BELOVED PARTY.

The Liberal Party which I selflessly served as a member for six years now including almost three years of working for the National Headquarters as Administrative and Finance Officer. It was the organization who shaped me to become what I am now in my career. All the more, there I met INTELLIGENT people (Sen. MAR Roxas, Sec. Florencio Abad, Sec. Mike Defensor, SolGen Antonio Eduardo Nachura, Rep. Antonino Roman to name a few…), STATESMAN (Sen. Pres. Jovito Salonga), AWESOME individuals (Dir. Gen. Eli Quinto, Dr. Meinardus, Rep. Baham Mitra, Rep. Miles Roces, etc.), my LOVE and my FRIENDS (which I cannot make an account here) and of course, with regard to those BURDENS in the party which made me tougher through the years (I’d rather not name them).

The decision was a win-win for both parties, though it vehemently granted partially the petition of the Drilon wing. It’s win-win because the COMELEC partially adhered to the prayer of the Atienza wing that only a National Convention and a new election will truly express the sentiments of the membership.

I received a text from Hon. Rendor (Councilor from Albay) calling for party unity and I AGREE WITH HIM. The COMELEC has decided and IT’S NOW TIME FOR THE PARTY TO LICK ITS WOUNDS OF DIVISION AND START HEALING.

I am certain both parties will file for reconsideration of the resolution which reads;

1. COMELEC ruled that elections held on March 2, 2006 were invalid. (Election of Atienza wing)
2. Because of the invalidity of the election, the Commission enjoined Mayor Atienza, et al. to stop representing themselves as officers of the party.
3. Calling for a National Convention set November 13, 2006 at the Manila Hotel.
Drilon Wing will move for reconsideration of 3 and Atienza on the other hand will for 1 and 2.

The LIBERAL BATTLE is not yet over, I know if both parties are to avail of the remedies allowed by the law it would take months or even years before it may be settled and I am afraid that the strength which the members built since LP’s downyears in 1992 til 2004 will be diminished by party leaders’ harsh exchange of words and opinions.

The MEMBERS are truly the strength of the LIBERAL PARTY and I call that we be given the chance to recollect what we aimed when we adhered to our oath of membership to this PARTY OF THE FUTURE. Let's concede our pride and unite in electing our new leaders who will embody our aim for JUSTICE, EQUALITY, TRUTH, PEACE and RESPOSIBLE GOVERNANCE which we cannot attain if the Party itself is in a dilemma.
posted by daye at 4:31:00 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home