DAYEdalera

Saturday, October 21, 2006

My dream, LEA and “Tomorrow”


It was a dream come true…WATCHING LEA SALONGA LIVE IN CONCERT!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I prepared for years that I can finally buy the nearest spot on stage to watch her perform and though I only had the capacity to spend Php 2,000 for this event I never hesitated spending it for the “Tomorrow” concert.

Me and my date was calling CCP for weeks to make reservations for our tickets but they don’t allow it by phone. Have tried purchasing it from Ticketnet and Gloritta Cinema Booth but due to heavy workload we wasn’t able to buy tickets ahead of time.

I dared myself to escape early than usual (5:30pm) from the office to be able to buy the tickets from CCP Box Office Booth with fingers cross that it’s not yet sold out.

It was destiny that there are two vacant seats away from each other at the 300, 500 and 2000 rates and as planned though I want to share this moment with my date seating beside me we bought the ground left ticket with seat no. N115 and O115 at the rate which is equivalent to almost one week of my wage.

TICKETS SECURED.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ate dinner at the harbor complex –Pancake house (thanks to my date for a very sumptuous dinner) and ate my food roughly in 30 minutes making sure that I won’t be late in reaching my dream.

Oh! PGMA is watching too. The concert started sharply at 8pm. It was with an overture of “tomorrow” which practically reminds me that I heard it first in the “LEA LIVE 1” CD which Gil gave me 4 Christmas ago. I was holding my breath to saw my idol: Lea Salonga.

It seems that the production vehemently anticipated my excitement and delayed Lea’s appearance for a while. It started with a princess dancing in the stage and pointed to the curtains. The curtains slowly opened and there I saw the Philippine Harmonic Orchestra being directed by Gerard Salonga (Lea’s music partner since childhood).

Then it was “True Colors” and Lea appeared on stage. I was mesmerized. I was holding my breath. I was starstruck and thought to myself, though I am 14 rows away from her, IM READY TO DIE. I have fulfilled my greatest dream on earth.

Lea Salonga narrated her new “passion”, being a mother to her Beverly Nicole. She told stories of motherhood and how she is confused if she will be like “Mommy Ligaya” to her angel… Then the next song, “Everybody Says Don’t” and “The Story Goes On”.

Lea introduced a friend who recently is also a new daddy. Calvin Millado, an ALIW award winning artist who happens to be the “Best Male Lead in a Musical”, a TV host of “Travel Time” and a talent of Boy Abunda. He continued the performance by singing “Impossible Dream” (which I think the best rendition of the song I ever heard next to Luther Vandross) and “You Raise Me Up”.

The Philippine Madrigal Singers which according to Lea was the embodiment of everybody’s dream of teaching the children of tomorrow how to sing, rendered two most meaningful songs, “Man in the Mirror” and “Circle of Life”.

Lea sang thereafter, “Anak” which she offered to all mothers who brought their children and children who brought along with them their mothers and grandmothers.

My second favorite song of the night “If I could” preceded my first “Galawgaw/Waray-Waray” which Lea performed with smart kids who sang with the highest energy.

Oooops, time to cut the overwhelming feeling, the theater master announced a 15-minute interval.

I rushed to the restroom and faced a long line to reach the cubicle. On my way back to my seat, I saw Mayor Mon Ilagan with his kid.

The concert continued with Lea singing “Together Wherever We Go” with Julia Abueva, the precocious 10-year old princess who sang for the 2005 SEAGames. Julia conquered the stage in singing “When You Believe” with the Madrigal Singers after.

Lea singing “Sa Ugoy ng Duyan” reminded me of two important persons in my life. My Mom who I miss badly and my Lolo who I miss more and more everyday.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Madrigal Singers who I think is teasing my emotions sang the songs which my Lolo Pitong patiently taught me during my tender years, “Leron Leron Sinta”, “Bahay Kubo”, “Polka sa Nayon” and “Chitchiritchit (Alibangbang)”.

It was Lea again, talking about how she started singing on the same stage many years back when she was 7 years young. She complimented her music partner Gerard and I anticipated the song “Happiness”. I was wrong. It was “Sing!” and “Chiquitita” (which she sang along with the kids from Hail Mary the Queen Children’s Choir and Kilyawan Boys Choir).

Lea followed that very sentimental performance (it reminds me of my happy childhood) with “Stand Up For Love”. Before her another outstanding performance she said:


“It is not a world of Love, If one child is still in danger.” If I would be asked “What would you do if you know that today is your last day here on earth?” I would answer like Martin Luther, “I will plant a tree.” He answered that way because the greatest deed is to plant love which you know will bear a fruit you will not be able to see.

My dream is that someday Beverly Nicole will ask me “Mommy what was war?”.

The last song was “Tomorrow” I know. It frightened me. Minutes away and my encounter with Lea will be over. No worries. I am satisfied and I know I will be encountering her again, everyday in my car radio, in my internet connection, and the closest, in my heart.

BOW… BOW… BOW… A standing ovation. I know it was me who first stand among thousands of fans. The audience shouted “MORE! MORE! MORE!”

And “Tomorrow” wasn’t really the last after all. “Pagdating ng Panahon” (by Aiza Seguerra) was last.

I came out of the theater FULFILLED. HAPPY. SATISFIED. ADORING LEA OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

At the lobby, I bought a souvenir program and want to buy the CD’s which still I don’t have and have lost and damaged through time. But I wary myself of overspending.

It was time, PGMA appeared and everybody is very eager to take pictures of Her Excellency but the crowd stopped when they hear Lea is on the other side. The fans walked towards their “musical goddess” aiming to take a shot from afar. PGMA joined Lea and the concert team. I am proud I am one of those who nearly experienced stampede just to take a picture of the concert team.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The night is far from over. My date which now I will reveal who, Nysa, another Lea fanatic (more than a younger sister to me) suggested we take pictures near the “Tomorrow” slogan and we did.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We loosen up at Starbucks harbor and shared our comments and breathless stories about the concert, the songs and Lea Salonga.

It was FUN. MEMORABLE. WORTHY OF SPENDING. It was the GREATEST TREAT I HAVE GIVEN MYSELF since Law School.

Im looking forward to LEA and another “Tomorrow”.

posted by daye at 4:26:00 PM

2 Comments:

daaaaye!

lea fan din ako, lalo na when i was a kid! i remember when she went back here to do "my fair lady," grade 6 or 1st year HS ata ako nun. i read in the papers that she was billeted at the manila hotel, so i wrote a letter, put it in an envelope and wrote: lea salonga, manila hotel, and mailed it. i don't know if it ever reached her, hehe!

i don't have the moolah to watch her in concert yet though... SOMEDAY! :D kainggit! you're having a great break ha!

7:18 PM  

Uy...found another Lea fanatic. :)

Don't worry pag lawyers na tayo ililibre kita sa front seat glad. :)

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home